The PC (Perspective Control) NIKKOR series*1 of lenses are lenses that support a shift function, with which the lens is moved parallel to the image plane, and a tilt function, with which the optical axis is tilted in relation to the image plane. These functions allow users to control perspective, correcting the distortion of subjects dependent upon camera angle, and bringing entire scenes and subjects with depth into focus (foreground to background).
19mm focal length in FX/35mm format, the shortest among PC NIKKOR series lenses, provides an angle of view*2 equivalent to that generally used when shooting architecture and interiors with large- and medium-format cameras. Consequently, it will be familiar for, and its high maneuverability appreciated by, many professional photographers of architecture and interiors, in particular.
The PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED achieves superior resolution throughout the entire frame for extremely detailed rendering of images captured at its ultra-wide angle all the way to the extreme corners. Adoption of three ED glass elements reduces chromatic aberration, and two aspherical lens elements provide effective compensation for a variety of aberrations, including distortion and spherical aberration. In addition, the use of Nano Crystal Coat effectively reduces ghost and flare, even when light passes through the lens at an angle, for clear, sharp images. The superior optical performance made possible by these technologies and the latest optical design will maximize the power and capabilities of high-pixel-count digital SLR cameras.
In addition to the conventional rotation mechanism, a new "PC Rotation" mechanism, which increases the flexibility of perspective control, has been adopted with the PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED. This new mechanism allows users to freely set the way shift and tilt relate to one another from parallel to perpendicular, responding precisely to a variety of shooting intents. Further, operation with perspective control has been improved with a shift mechanism that can eliminate the need for lock operation and ensure smooth shift operation. What's more, Nikon's exclusive fluorine coat has been adopted for superior durability and resistance to dust, water, grease, and dirt.
The PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED offers superior optical performance and the widest angle of view in the PC NIKKOR series of lenses. At the same time, it further expands possibilities for expression with perspective control. It stimulates photographers' creativity and supports unique forms of photographic expression with cityscape and landscape photography and the creation of fine art, all while responding precisely to the strict needs of professional architecture and interior photographers.
- A shift mechanism that supports smooth perspective control without the need for lock operation
- Adoption of a new "PC Rotation" mechanism that allows users to freely set the direction of shift and tilt operation from parallel to perpendicular to each other
- Superior optical performance that begins with excellent resolution all the way to the edges of the frame, making the most of high-pixel-count digital SLR camera capabilities
- Adoption of Nano Crystal Coat, that enables sharp and clear images in which ghost and flare is effectively reduced with superior anti-reflection characteristics
- Highly durable fluorine coat that effectively repels dust, water, grease, and dirt applied to the outer surface of the lens element at the extreme front of the lens